Monday, December 17, 2012

Be a Helper in this World

"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother's words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers - so many caring people in this world." - Mister Rogers

In the wake of the horrible tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, it is so hard to think about posting a recipe on the blog. Many bloggers have honored the victims today with a "Blog Day of Silence." Although I 100% agree that this is a wonderful idea, I thought I would post this quote from Mister Rogers to share with you all. I find his words very comforting, and I hope you do too. My heart has been aching these past few days as I think about the terrible events that took place this past Friday, December 14th. I have been praying for the families and community members of Newtown, and I hope they can feel how much love and support the rest of our nation is sending their way.

One of the Boston area radio stations posted this link on their facebook page today. It is a list of ways in which you can help begin the healing process and show your respect and support for everyone who has been affected. I am sure that many more ways to help will surface in the coming weeks, but this is a start. And as so many people have already been saying, let us use these tragic events as a reminder in our own lives to tell our friends and family members how much we love them each and every day. Always appreciate each other. And always remember to do good and be kind to others. As Mister Rogers would say, be a helper in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment