Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Homemade Pea Soup with Crumbled Bacon

To me, one of the most comforting foods out there is a delicious, hot bowl of homemade soup.


I'm sure many of you are experiencing the same thing, but I still just can't wrap my head around the tragedy in Newtown, CT. If this is the case for you too, you may want to make this soup. I think it will help you feel better. At least for a little while.

I adapted this recipe from 101 Cookbook's Vegetarian Split Pea Soup recipe. It is incredibly easy and a great option for those busy weeknights when time is not on your side. I made a few changes from the original recipe, and I mention those below. The ingredients listed here are what I actually used when I made this.

Ingredients:

-1 Tbsp. olive oil
-2 large onions, chopped
-1 garlic clove, minced
-2 cups dried split green peas, picked over and rinsed
-3 cups chicken broth (can use vegetable)
-2 cups water
-salt and pepper, to taste
-crumbled bacon, if desired
-shredded cheese, if desired

Instructions:

If you are going to crumble bacon on top of your soup, cook your bacon (using your favorite method - mine is to bake it).

Add the olive oil to a large pot over medium-high heat. Stir in the onions and cook until the onions start to soften (just a couple minutes). Add the split peas, 3 cups of broth, and 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat so that the soup simmers. Cook for about 20 minutes or so at a simmer, or until the peas are cooked but slightly al dente.

Next, puree the soup using one of two methods - an immersion blender or a stand blender. If you use the latter, transfer the soup in batches to the blender to puree it. If necessary, add more water to the soup if it's too thick (I ended up needing to add about 1 more cup of water at this stage).

Add salt and pepper to taste, if necessary. Top your soup with the crumbled bacon and shredded cheese, if you're so inclined, and enjoy a bowl of comfort!


The original recipe is completely vegetarian, and obviously with my additions of chicken broth and bacon, this soup was no longer vegetarian friendly. But it's so easy to make it completely meatless. You could also easily add other veggies to this soup... Maybe some spinach? Carrots?


The original recipe calls for only water, not broth. It also calls for the addition of 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt. Because I chose to add broth to my version, I didn't add any extra salt. And it definitely wasn't needed either! And finally, the addition of the garlic was my own as well; you certainly don't need to add it.


Mike and I both really enjoyed this soup. It's definitely a keeper of a recipe. :)

Be back later in the week with a recap of the Cookie Swap for a Cause!

No comments:

Post a Comment